This post includes affliate links, read here how these work.
London’s pack full of culture. Of course.
BUT when you’re a kid in London what you really NEED is adventure.
And luckily the capital does NOT disappoint.
It is crammed full of hair raising, spine tingling, coolness.
In fact enough adventure to fill every little Londoner’s half terms.
Right UP until they’re 12. (And so don’t want to know you!)
So what ARE the coolest big adventures in London for kids?
WELL, I’ve got a list of 50 whoppers for you below …
Now being honest, not all of these come cheap.
BUT they would make fab clutter free birthday gifts.
OR grandparent treats.
OR you could get your kids to pay by selling off their old toys.
Who needs stuff WHEN there’s adventures to be had?
And IF you do need more freebies check out this list of 101 Free Days Out in London with Kids.
But NOW on with the adventures …
50 Big Adventures In London
- Climb the O2 at night under the stars
- Explore London’s very own underground caves …
- Canoe the Olympic course in Lee Valley Park
- Learn to sail in Colne Valley Park
- Sleep over … on a naval warship on the Thames
- … or with the bugs in the bug house at London Zoo
- … or the mummies in the British Museum
- … or the dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum
- … or with fellow boffins at the Science Museum
- Ride the orbit slide if you dare at the Olympic Park
- Dig for fossils in Abbey Wood
- Mudlark for treasure by the Thames
- Camp in the wild in Broxbourne
- Cycle around the enormous and ancient Epping Forest
- Power boat down the Thames
- Swim outdoors at the Serpentine or at one of London’s brilliant lidos
- Swing through London’s highest trees on a zip wire
- Join the big campfire at Morden Hall Park
- Ride horses on Wimbledon Common
- Pay homage to Pocohontas in Gravesend … eat at a smugglers Inn, then take the ferry to …
- … Tilbury Fort where Queen Elizabeth saw off the Spanish Armada
- Kayak the Thames to Hampton Court …
- … or canoe down to Greenwich from Limehouse
- … or up the Regents Canal …
- Sit in a Spitfire at the RAF Museum
- Track down King Harold’s grave at Waltham Abbey
- Mountain bike at the Olympic Velo Park or in Hainault Forest – you can hire bikes at Redbridge Cycling Centre
- … or try track cycling at the historic Herne Hill Velodrome
- Race a vintage car round the old race track at Brooklands Museum
- Travel in space at the Planetarium
- Climb Brixton Windmill and mill some flour
- Play laser tag in a nuclear bunker
- Live like a Roman at Lullingstone Villa …
- … then fish for tiddlers in the River Darent.
- Ice skate outdoors at the Natural History Museum, Hampton Court, Somerset House
- Go ice karting at the Queens Centre
- Run wild in London’s wonderful forests and woods
- Climb up an old biscuit factory or a Victorian pumping station
- See a movie on Britain’s biggest screen at the IMAX Waterloo
- Learn to ski right here in London
- Ride Colossus and more at Thorpe Park
- Swim in the Olympic pool
- Spot wild harriers, owls and more at the RSPB’s Rainham Marsh
- Ride the London Eye … and then try and solve the London Eye Mystery
- Skate board – even when it’s wet – at Bay Sixty 6 or House of Vans … surely London’s coolest skate parks …
- Scare yourself silly at the Clink Museum or London Dungeon
- Go for a midnight hike on Hampstead Heath – obviously in a group AND be careful but on a clear night amazing way to see London
- Be a zoo keeper for a day at London Zoo – you can just sneak this in before 12
- Sleep with lions … or at least in the Gir Lion Lodge at London Zoo and get after dark access to the animals
AND finally when you do hit 12 you can be seriously spooked in the Tower of London at night …
And there you go 50 fabulous big adventures for kids in London.
I hope they keep your little London kids happy but …
If you need ideas for littlies check out this list of 50 Things To Do In London Before You’re 5.
OR for even more ideas check out these lists …
- 101 Free Days Out In London With Kids
- 55 Rainy Days In London With Kids
- London’s Best Outdoor Pools
- London’s Best Woods To Run Wild In
- 8 Brilliant Small Free London Museums
- 30 Historic Houses In London For Big Days Out
- Paddington Locations In London
- London’s Steam Trains
- The Scariest Places To Visit In London With Kids
And for super cool London events for kids follow along on Facebook …