Finding good headache relief can feel like a search for the holy grail.
And you know what?
I’m not sure – to be honest – that one elusive remedy guaranteed to give headache relief even actually exists.
But herbal teas do bring natural headache relief and there’s real science behind it. The big secret behind getting herbal teas to work is using this science to target different headaches with the right tea.
So use this guide to learn which tea works best for which headache.
It covers 6 easy DIY herbal teas that give natural relief from tension and stress headaches, cluster headaches, sinus headaches and – my biggest problem – menstrual headaches.
Do give them a go. I hope they help.
6 Simple Herbal Teas For Headache Relief
1. Ginger Tea For Stress & Tension Headaches
Ginger naturally reduces blood vessel inflammation that contribute to stress headaches. Ginger tea can help break the stress headache cycle whereby stress causes a headache which causes more stress which causes a worse headache.
To make natural ginger headache tea:
- Add a sliced inch of ginger root or a teaspoon of dried ginger to a cup or so of water.
- Bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Strain & add a teaspoon or so of lemon and honey to taste.
2. Mint Tea For Persistent Stress Headaches
Herbal mint tea – like ginger tea – helps relax blood vessels to reduce stress headaches in a similar way to lots of headache relief medication.
Drinking mint tea regularly can reduce physical stress in our bodies and help prevent the build up of persistent stress headaches. It’s also worth drinking leading up to periods.
Mint tea is the simplest tea ever to make. All you do is:
- Steep 10 to 12 freshly cut mint leaves in a couple of cups of freshly boiled water for 5 minutes
- Then sip away.
3. Clove Tea for Instant Headache Relief
Cloves have some natural anaesthetic power that block our detection of pain. So clove tea is often the most effective herbal tea to drink for instant relief for a headache.
To make clove headache tea:
- Grind up one teaspoon of whole cloves per cup.
- Steep in boiled water for 20 minutes & then strain.
- Flavour with honey and / or cinnamon.
You could make extra – at for example the beginning of your period – and keep it, strained, in a jar in the fridge to heat up gently when needed.
4. Coriander Seed Tea For Sinus Headaches
Coriander seeds have been used in traditional Aryuvedic medicine to give relief to sinus headaches by relieving sinus pressure.
To make coriander seed headache tea simply:
- Steep one tablespoon of coriander seeds in a cup of boiling water for five minutes.
- Strain & sweeten with honey.
5. Rosemary Tea for Cluster Headaches
Intense cluster headaches are connected with muscle spasms in the head. Rosemary has anti-spasmodic powers so rosemary tea can provide relief for spasmodic headaches that feel like they’re gripping the head especially around the eyes.
To make rosemary headache tea:
- Steep one sprig of rosemary – about a teaspoon’s worth of needles – in a cup of boiling water for 5 minutes or so.
- You could add honey but I think it’s lovely and soothing as it is.
6. Chamomile Tea For Bedtime Headache Relief
Chamomile is a very mild, natural sedative and so can help us sleep.
Sleep doesn’t always relieve headaches but if we don’t get to sleep we can guarantee the headache will be worse in the morning.
So chamomile tea is a good herbal tea to drink at bedtime to provide a little instant relief but also help us get to sleep and stay asleep.
You can make chamomile headache tea from both dried and fresh chamomile flowers. Simply:
- Pour freshly boiled water over 2 or 3 teaspoons of chamomile flowers.
- Steep for 5 minutes.
Chamomile can be combined with mint for additional headache relief that eases stress at bedtime.
So there you go, 6 simple herbal teas you can make easily for natural headache relief targeted at different headaches at different times.
I really hope they help.
For more simple natural remedies that do work try these:
- Natural Cough Mixture
- Natural Cold Remedy
- Natural Remedies for Stomach Ache & Indigestion
- Get Rid Of Veruccas Naturally
- Simple Natural Antibiotics