And they’re especially horrid for kids.
So at the first sniffle or snuffle in our house, I whip up this super simple, DIY natural cold remedy with apple cider vineger that :
- Is chock full of natural antibiotics and immunity boosters
- Makes us feel better fast
- & truly seems to work to stop cold symptoms getting worse and becoming chesty coughs and infections.
But is super easy to throw together in a few minutes.
The whole family now much prefer this simple natural cold remedy to over the counter cold remedies.
Some Of The Problems With OTC Cold Remedies
I have to say I have become very dubious about lots of OTC cold remedies because they taste rotten, are far less soothing and typically include :
- Paracetamol that is best taken only when specifically needed so we’re clear what we’re taking.
- Decongestants like phenylephrine which aren’t clearly effective and can have weird side effects like a racing heart & urinary infections.
- Caffeine to keep us going when what our body really, really needs to get over the cold is better sleep and rest.
And nutritionally these OTC cold remedies don’t give our bodies that extra immune boosting shot of vitamin C and more we need to fight off and manage cold symptoms.
So save this simple DIY cold remedy for later and next time you – or your kids – feel a sore throat coming on or sinuses getting blocked make this instead. And to keep on top of those symptoms check out these tips:
Naturally Healing Cold Remedy Ingredients
All the ingredients in this natural cold remedy have their own healing powers but it will still work and make you feel better with just these five basics :
- Half a lemon (for 1 or 2 people)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Ginger – fresh or dried
- Cinnamon – stick or powder
- Honey (nb don’t give honey to children under one)
You can give it an extra punch by adding these herbs that have been shown to help relieve cold symptoms:
These herbs are all natural antibiotics that are super easy to grow in containers in a kitchen or small garden but can also be used dried or frozen.
(I don’t include any essential oils in this natural remedy and very rarely use them as I fear they have become a bit of a scam with lots of them being promoted under what are basically pyramid schemes.)
Quick DIY Cold Remedy
To quickly make the cold remedy all you do is :
- Squeeze lemon into a pan
- Cut lemon up into rough pieces
- Peel & slice a small knob of ginger
- Break up cinnamon stick
- Roughly chop herbs
Chuck everything in a pan with roughly a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a cup of water per person. Heat through gently for five minutes or so.
Put a teaspoon of honey in each cup and strain the cold remedy over the honey and stir …
I do hope this simple DIY cold remedy helps. Let me know how you get on and please do share it if it does help.
If your cold has come with a really blocked nose or painfully sore throat or turned into cough then do check out these extra natural remedies for coughs & colds that will help you tackle these symptoms fast :
- Quick Natural Cough Mixture
- 25 Natural Remedies For Sore Throats
- 28 Natural Remedies For Sinus Congestion
Or if your cold has really knocked out and you are struggling to get back on your feet do repeat this post on:Sunny Mama,Golden Honey Pouring From The Spoon and Top view of a jar of acacia honey with green branch by Marco Verch, cut lemon under Creative Commons 2.0