We all know we’re meant to eat five a day don’t we?
And yeah we try.
But all the busy, busy overload of motherhood somehow gets in the way.
And it doesn’t happen. And we eat biscuits. Instead.
BUT, BUT, BUT the thing is … I’ve found eating five a day actually helps with the overload thing.
When I eat five a day – particularly if it’s veggies – I have more energy.
I’m less stressed.
I’m better at saying NO to things. Cos that is hard!
So why on earth don’t I do it every day? Aaaarghhh!!!
I think it’s just than when I am overloaded everything feels such a big deal.
Even when it isn’t. So I eat badly. Because I don’t even want to have to think about it.
And that makes me feel worse …
Does that sound familiar?
If it does, I think you’re gonna love this tip for getting a good healthy five a day everyday.
EVEN when you’re exhausted. EVEN when you’re really down.
It’s amazing. I feel so much better for it.
AND it is SO simple! It only takes 5 minutes everyday.
And doesn’t involve any fancy shopping. Or recipes. Or brain ache.
But guarantees I get a big burst of 3 or 4 helpings of veg – easily topped up with a glass of juice or an apple or some dried fruit to get five a day. In fact some days I even get 10! Go me!
So what’s it all about?
Well it’s the rainbow raw-ish veg soup plan!
It’s stupidly simple but really gives you a blast of energy. And somehow dials down the stress.
Give it a go. And let me know how you get on.
Rainbow Raw-ish Veg Soup Plan
Here’s how it works …
- Once a week buy a range of veg from the list below.
- Then everyday pick one of the combinations.
- Really roughly chop 3 good handfuls of veg – takes one minute.
- Chuck veg in blender with a small handful of nuts, water and spices (as per suggestions).
- Blend for 2 minutes. Pour into pan, cover and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Serve with big chunks of good bread – e.g. wholegrain, spelt
Five A Day Soup Combos
These are my fave five-a-day soup combos but you could invent your own:
- Spinach & pea with almonds
- Courgette, pea & mint with almonds
- Tomato, red pepper and oregano or basil with almonds
- Mushrooms with hazelnuts
- Cauliflower with lemon juice, chilli powder or paprika and cashews
- Carrot & any other root with curry powder and cashews
- Celeriac & any other root with tumeric, cumin and cashews
- Pumpkin or sweet potato & any other root with almonds, ginger, cumin and cayenne pepper
The amount of water you need varies per veg.
Roots, cauliflower and mushroom need more. Tomatoes and peppers none.
Best to add a small amount, blend, and add more if needed.
The nuts make the soup creamy but you can add half water – half milk if you like.
And there you go.
It’s that simple. I eat my soup at lunchtime as I’m home on my own.
But you could easily add to an evening meal.
And if your kids do soup they can have it too.
Unfortunately my picky eater is more of a steak kind of girl but she’s great at peeling the veg 🙂
I do hope this simple idea helps you get your five a day – AND some!
Do let me know how you get on.
And for more super simple ideas for a healthier life sign up for my newsletter …
P.S. If you liked this save it for later …
[…] was eating pretty healthily – getting my five a day (with this sneaky trick! […]
[…] snack of nuts & dried fruit 4. Eat an apple a day 5. Devour a bowl of quick blended vegetable soup 6. Eat good multi-grain bread 7. Eat one of these daily – egg, oily fish (e.g. salmon, […]
[…] Almonds – if you’re not so into nuts, blend in a smoothie OR soup […]
[…] souping has been a life changer for […]
[…] Shop bought soups – blend up your leftovers […]