Easy fall soup recipes are gold dust on any autumn family meal plan aren’t they? They’re super hearty comfort food but crammed full of cheap seasonal vegetables, they’re also unbelievably healthy.
And an extra helping of cheap, healthy, comfort is what we could all do with right now, isn’t it?
So I’ve got for you this big list of some of the best, easy fall soup recipes to use up just about any autumn vegetable we can get our hands on cheaply at the store or market or from a local PYO farm or if like me your growing your own from the garden.
The Best Fall Soup Recipes
Now obviously I’ve included pumpkin and squash soup recipes – no fall soup recipe list would be complete without them – but I’ve also got for you some of those odd – but cheap – fall vegetables we never quite know what to do with but which actually make some of the best scrumptiously creamy and hearty fall soups.
Lots of those less sexy fall veggies are also super healthy, being chock full of all sorts of vitamins & minerals plus fibre, protein and immune boosting anti-oxidants and omega-3 acids.
And for the extra health kick we’re all going to need this autumn, these fall soups are also chock full of natural antibiotic and antihistamine herbs that can transform our gut health and get us fighting fit for fall.
25 Fall Soup Recipes
All these fall soups have a vegan or vegetarian base and use super cheap, super healthy pulses for protein BUT you can load them up with meat anyway you like and they’re all fab ways to use up leftover meat.
They’re organised alphabetically by veg, so whiz through if you’re after a recipe for a particular veg.
Fall Soups: Beet, Broccoli & Butternut Squash
- Beetroots / beets : beetroots are super duper healthy and a bowl of velvety purple beet soup can be unbelievably spirit lifting on a grey fall day. You can also often pick them up cheaply at pick your own farms and markets in autumn.
- Broccoli : broccoli soups smothered in cheese are very comforting on crisp days but for something different but just as comforting try this creamy broccoli soup with fewer calories and more protein for less pennies than the cheesy version.
- Butternut squash lentil soup : there’s a big debate in my family between those who love soups creamy and those who like a bit of crunch but this classic butternut squash soup combines both. Or if you really don’t do chunky, try this spicy butternut squash soup with a surprise twist!
Fall Soups: Carrot, Cauliflower & Celeriac
- Carrot : this easy roasted carrot soup gets an extra boost of fall flavour with lovely seasonal pecans and apples.
- Cauliflower : this roasted cauliflower chowder is another fabulous fall soup with a surprise twist. It uses potato for creaminess but you could switch this for chickpeas to lower the cabrs.
- Celeriac : celeriac is not pretty, but those funny root veggies that look like brains are a super useful low GI swap for potato and arew wonderful in fall flavoured celeriac & apple soup. This fall soup also includes a good dose of thyme which is a fabulous natural antibiotic.
Fall Soups: Jerusalem Artichoke to Leek
- Jerusalem artichoke : jerusalem artichokes are another funny looking fall veg but are super useful as as they’re rich in protein, iron and cholesterol lowering potassium and delicious in this cream of jerusalem artichoke soup.
- Kale : I really do think the best comforting kale soups for fall come from Italy and I love this Tuscan white bean kale soup because it’s another full of naturally antibiotic thyme & rosemary.
- Leek : we’re all familiar with the comforts of a good old leek and potato soup but this cauliflower leek soup which is full of healthy garlic & chives, is just as comforting but lower carb.
Fall Soups: Mushroom to Onion
- Mushroom : even the fussiest of kids will eat a wonderfully creamy mushroom soup and this one is full of fall flavour with loads of super healthy onion, garlic & thyme.
- Onions : french onion soup isn’t the fastest to make but it repays the time we take to caramelise the onions with that fabulously stomach warming flavour. But it’s not just flavoursome, onions are also rich in natural antibiotics and antihistamines and this recipe packs an even healthier punch with super healthy thyme. You could even use the recipe to use up leftovers by switching out the french bread and gruyere for slightly hard bread – soften first in microwave – and cheese ends.
Fall Soups: Parsnips to Pumpkins
- Parsnips : parsnips so often get forgotten but roasted with super healthy honey as in this roasted parsnip soup they make a heavenly fall soup. Again this isn’t the quickest fall soup – it’s a chance to slow down – but with garlic, thyme, honey & low GI cauliflower, it’s super healthy.
- Peppers : there are some super hearty roast pepper fall soup recipes out there which are wonderful if you’ve got the time to roast the peppers but if you haven’t you can make a fabulously frugal, super tasty stuffed pepper soup with lentils in much less time. Or if you’re not a veggie check out this frugal version with leftover meat.
- Potato soup : potatoes are obviously a super frugal way to make a comforting fall soup but not so great if we need to cut carbs. However there is a clever way around this : quick cook jacket potatoes in the microwave in the morning or the night before and let them cool in the fridge. Then add them to a baked potato soup recipe. This cook-cool-cook hack cuts the sugar in the potatoes.
- Potato peel soup : if things really are tight this year you can make an even more frugal but still comforting fall soup with this potato peel soup recipe.
- Pumpkin soup : nothing says fall more than a pumpkin soup does it? But let’s be honest it can be a bit of faff. So check out this really easy pumpkin soup. I love it not just because it’s simple but also because it gets its lovely fall richness from super healthy spices.
Fall Soups: Shallots To Sweet Potato
- Shallots : shallots aren’t always the cheapest veg but for lots of us they are seasonal in fall and you may be able to pick them up cheaper from a local grower with too big a glut to store. And if you do get your hands on some you can make this deliciously comforting herby shallot soup.
- Spinach : most spinach soups may be super healthy but they don’t truly tick the comfort foood box, do they? And hearty is what we’re after in fall and if we don’t get it in our soup, we’re going to go and carbo load on something else. So I reckon the best fall spinach soups are traditional Italian ones like this spinach white bean soup which is again rich in healthy herbs.
- Swede / rutabag : I have to confess swedes haven’t always been my favourite veg. I have too many memories of them badly cooked in school dinners. But roasted with lots of spices in this roast swede soup they are delicious. And you can often pick them up very cheaply in fall so keep your eyes peeled at the market or store.
- Sweet potato : fall soups truly can be filling meals in their own right especially if they are as hearty as this sweet potato, chickpea & red lentil soup.
Fall Soups: Turnip to Zucchini
- Turnip : turnips are another fall veg who have quite unfairly got a bad name. It is very easy to grow turnips – they’re super quick growing – and roasted the young roots are blissful. You can also roast larger roots for a delicious roast turnip soup in autumn. And turnips – who knew? – are unbelievably healthy, packed with multiple vitamins & minerals plus omega 3 acids plus protein and have only one third of the carbs & calories of potatoes!!
- Turnip tops / cime di rapa : And it’s not just the turnip root that is delicious and healthy but also the turnip greens or as the Italians call them cime di rapa. This is a wonderfully comforting cime di rapa & bean soup for fall, although I would use butter rather than oil. Now you won’t pick up cime di rapa cheaply anywhere I know, so sow some now in your fall vegetable garden even if it’s nothing more than a few pots. It really is worth it.
- Zucchini : zucchini – or courgettes as we call them in Britain – are obviously really a summer veg when they’re best fresh from the garden with nothing more than lemon & mint but if you’ve got some left in early fall this is an incredibly simple but comforting chowder style zucchini soup.
- Fall minestrone : the whole point of minestrone was to use up whatever leftover veg an Italian had rather than follow a strict ingredient list. So use this base minestrone recipe with any old leftovers to make your very own hale and hearty fall minestrone.
And there you go 25 healthy fall soups that are full of nutritious seasonal vegetables but cheap and easy to make and the most wonderfully hearty, comfort food for the whole family this autumn.
I do hope you enjoy them. For more simple healthy living tips do read these other posts:
- 25 Benefits Of Walking Everyday
- 6 Natural Remedies For Headaches
- 30 Lovely Ways To Calm Down
- 28 Must Know DIY Remedies