Every summer we have a glorious glut of blackberries – from impromptu blackberry picking – so I am always on the hunt for great new fresh and frozen blackberry recipes.
Plenty of our fresh blackberries will go into classic blackberry and apple crumble and blackberry jam but fresh or frozen blackberries are also scrumptiously tangy in everything from blackberry cobbler and blackberry pie right through to blackberry ice pops, blackberry ice cream and even a blackberry pavlova.
So if you’re wondering what to do with lots of blackberries and are on the hunt for great traditional and unusual blackberry recipes for both indulgent and healthy blackberry desserts then do bookmark this big guide to brilliant fresh and frozen blackberry recipes.
There truly is something utterly delicious here for everyone.
Blackberry Cobbler Recipes
A good old blackberry cobbler is great both when you’ve lots of blackberries and when you’ve just got a small haul left over.
There’s a bit of debate about ideal cobbler toppings. Some people like it biscuity, others cakey and traditional folk like me prefer it in between so I’ve got three blackberry cobbler recipes for you to cover all the bases:
- Traditional Blackberry Cobbler : If you want a cobbler that is not too biscuity or cakey this is the blackberry cobbler recipe for you.
- Biscuity Blackberry Cobbler : if you like a cobbler with a biscuity topping try this super quick and easy blackberry cobbler recipe.
- Cakey Blackberry Cobbler : this cakey blackberry crumble recipe is super useful if you’re short on blackberies and can be made with a cake mix if you’re short on time.
All three recipes are equally good with fresh and frozen blackberries.
Blackberry Crisp Recipes
Blackberry crisp has to be the easiest blackberry dessert. You can chuck it together with fresh blackberries even when frazzled after blackberry picking or with frozen blackberries snatched from the freezer :
- Easy Blackberry Crisp : this is a super simple blackberry crisp you can have done in 30 minutes.
- Blackberry & Peach Crisp : I love this classic blackberry & peach crisp recipe as it’s even easy enough to whip up when you’re camping. Just don’t forget your mosquito repellent as those little monsters will love it too!
- Healthy Blackberry Crisp : this simple blackberry crisp is brilliant if you want a gluten free, lower sugar healthier blackberry crisp recipe.
- Blackberry & Apple Betty : a betty is a crisp or crumble made with buttered breadcrumbs instead of flour. This blackberry & apple betty is a lovely light recipe that offsets the blackberries perfectly.
Blackberry Crumble Recipes
What’s a crumble and what’s a crisp is an endless debate between Brits and Americans but who cares, these blackberry crumble recipes are easy & yummy and some a tad unusual :
- Blackberry & Apple Crumble : a classic blackberry & apple crumble recipe if you don’t have one.
- Rhubarb & Blackberry Crumble : this rhubarb & blackberry crumble is useful early in blackberry season if you’ve not got lots of blackberries but do have leftover rhubarb.
- Blackberry & Pear Crumble : for a slightly unusual twist try this blackberry & pear crumble with frozen blackberries.
- Blackberry & Apple Crumble with Marzipan : for something more unusual you have to try Nigel Slater’s utterly amazing blackberry & apple crumble with marzipan.
- Strawberry & Blackberry Crumble : I am a recent convert to strawberry in crumble and love this strawberry & blackberry crumble recipe which has wonderful contrasts of textures and flavour.
Blackberry Jelly, Jam & Compote Recipes
Long afternoons blackberrying are some of my most perfect memories of childhood, but I wasn’t the one racing to make jam when we got back!!
Luckily, I have now discovered that blackberry jelly & jam is just as good with frozen blackberries so if you’ve got lots of blackberries from a day’s picking do chuck them in the freezer for jelly making on another day.
- Easy Blackberry Jelly : a quick and easy blackberry jelly recipe that avoids endless straining & works with frozen blackberries.
- Blackberry & Apple Jelly : this blackberry & apple jelly is fab if you don’t have lots of blackberries but are storing apples.
- Hedgerow Jelly : if you go blackberrying this year look out for other fabulous fruit to forage including elderberries, sloes, damsons & crab apples and then chuck it all together for the unique flavour of a hedgerow jelly.
- Blackberry Compote : an unbelievably quick blackberry compote from fresh or frozen blackberries is a joy with ice cream, yoghurt or creme fraiche as a quick dessert or as a cheesecake topping.
- Blackberry & Thyme Jam : lovely easy to grow thyme goes really well with blackberry & this quick blackberry & thyme jam is a wonderful combo. It is a jam not a strained jelly so better for cultivated blackberries rather than hedgerow bramble berries which are very seedy.
- Blackberry Jalapeno Jelly : OK so this sounds like an unusual blackberry recipe but some of the best blackberry recipes are actually savoury, so if you want an alternatives to cranberries try this blackberry jalapeno jelly.
If you are making blackberry jelly to store in the fridge and eat pretty quickly you can be pretty free and easy with sugar levels and setting temperatures but if you have got lots of blackberries and want to store blackberry jelly for the year ahead check out this post on :
Blackberry Pie Recipes
Sometimes when we’re juggling too much a pie can seem a bit of an effort but you can make super quick blackberries from both frozen blackberries and frozen pastry.
- Blackberry & Apple Pie : there is something so satisfying about a good old fashioned blackberry & apple pie when you’ve been blackberrying and apple picking.
- Blackberry Turnovers : I think I love blackberry turnovers even more than blackberry pie and this is an incredibly luscious blackberry turnover recipe.
- Blackberry Crostata or Galette : a galette or crostata is another super fast way to make a pie and this blackberry galette with frozen blackberries is very handy quick recipe.
- Blackberry & Pear Pie : if you really can’t face another blackberry & apple pie when you’ve got a lot of blackberries try this lovely blackberry & pear pie with a delicate crust for something different …
- Blackberry Custard Pie : … or this blackberry custard pie with its super creamy filling.
Blackberry Dessert Recipes
Tangy blackberries go wonderfully well with sweet, creamy desserts. I truly think you could take any cream dessert recipe you love and add blackberries to it and will work but otherwise try some of these amazing blackberry dessert recipes. They are not all easy – or healthy – but they are luscious!!
- Blackberry Pavlova : pavlovas can be scary but this blackberry pavlova with frozen blackberries is actually pretty quick and easy.
- Blackberry Tart : this is an absolute classic, French style blackberry tart recipe. It’s one of the few recipes here that truly does need fresh blackberries.
- Blackberry Chocolate Tart : this blackberry chocolate tart is actually vegan but totally stunning.
- Blackberry Charlotte : if you want a really grand blackberry dessert you have to try this blackberry Charlotte Russe.
- Blackberry Summer Pudding : a summer pudding with blackberries tastes luxurious but made with bread passed its best and foraged fruit it barely costs a thing.
- Blackberry Meringue Kisses : these blackberry meringue kisses make an incredibly pretty dessert …
- Blackberry Trifle : … as does this gorgeous blackberry trifle tiramisu.
- Blackberry & Cream Shortcake : if you’re after a blackberry dessert recipe that kids can help with do check out this traditional British blackberry & cream shortcake.
- Blackberry Custard Tarts : for individual blackberry desserts, check out these beautiful little blackberry custard tarts …
- Blackberry Creme Brulee : … or these stunning blackberry creme brulee.
And if you want an unusual blackberry dessert that borders on savoury try this lovely blackberry goats cheese tart. It’s not simple but if you’ve got some time worth a try.
Blackberry Pudding Recipes
Blackberry desserts are wonderful in the summer but if you’re picking them early autumn when the weather is turning then they are beautiful in real old stomach warming British pudding :
- Blackberry Queen Of Puddings : if you’ve made blackberry jelly or jam you use it in a queen of puddings. You could also use a quick blackberry compote.
- Blackberry Bread & Butter Pudding : this blackberry bread & butter pudding isn’t a totally classic version but it’s very quick, easy & yummy.
- Blackberry Dumplings : this is a really traditional British blackberry dumping recipe to mark the traditional end of the blackberry picking season on Michaelmas day.
Healthy Blackberry Dessert Recipes
All these blackberry dessert & blackberry pudding recipes have been pretty indulgent so for but it’s very easy to throw together healthy blackberry dessert recipes and blackberries do have all sorts of healthy benefits being both a natural antihistamine and immune booster.
- Goats cheese, blackberries & almonds drizzled with honey.
- Blackberries with honeydew or golden melon.
- Blackberries, figs & ricotta.
- Blackberries with goats milk yoghurt.
- Blackberry, banana & mint.
- Blackberry, banana & mint with cream cheese.
- Blackberries poached in red wine – just very gently poach for five minutes or so with a little glass of red wine and just a tiny amount of sugar and served with yoghurt or creme fraiche.
Blackberry Cake Recipes
These blackberry cake recipes are brilliant if you’re looking for even more ways to use up a lot of blackberries but most of them also work if you’ve only got a small haul from blackberrying.
- Blackberry Muffins : super speedy to make these blackberry muffins are a great recipe to whip up with kids and can be made with frozen blackberries straight from the freezer.
- Blackberry Loaf : a quick easy blackberry loaf recipe you can whip up in a mixer in no time. You can use frozen blackberries but they need to be thawed.
- Blackberry Baba : this blackberry rum baba is a super indulgent statement cake.
- Blackberry Cheesecake : you could simply top your favourite cheesecake recipe with a blackberry compote but this true blackberry cheesecake recipe is a stunner.
- Blackberry & Apple Cake : if you are a slow cooker fan you have to try this blackberry & apple cake recipe or for something totally awesome check out this blackberry & apple cake with white chocolate drizzle.
- Blackberry Focaccia : or for something less sweet try this Nigel Slater inspired blackberry & basil focaccia.
Blackberry Cookies & Bars
These blackberry cookie & bar recipes are brilliant if you are after snack and lunch box friendly blackberry ideas you can take on picnics, outings and to the beach.
- Blackberry pie bars : these simple, yummy blackberry pie bars are a handy, picnic friendly alternative to a full scale blackberry pie.
- Blackberry crumble bars : these blackberry crumble bars are another handy snack option that have got a bit more “stick” than traditional crumble by the inclusion of an egg.
- Blackberry cobbler bars : these deliciously shortbready blackberry cobbler bars are incredibly easy to make.
- Blackberry cheesecake bars : these blackberry cheesecake bars are gorgeous but really not complicated.
- Blackberry cheesecake brownies : for even more indulgence try these blackberry cheesecake brownies.
Chilled & Frozen Blackberry Recipes
On scorching summer days blackberries are at their best in chilled and frozen blackberry recipes like these:
- Blackberry Ice Pops : quick blackberry ice pops are a summer winner with the whole family. On hot days these blackberry & limeade popsicles are super refreshing and these blackberry cream popsicles are luscious any day of the year.
- Blackberry Ice Cream : with this no churn blackberry ice cream recipe you really can make blackberry ice cream without an ice cream maker or a lot of fuss.
- Blackberry Sorbet : if you can’t even be faffed with an easy ice cream recipe try this super simple blackberry sorbet recipe instead.
- Blackberry Frozen Yoghurt : or if you’re trying to avoid sugar make this delicious blackberry frozen yoghurt.
- Blackberry Fool : or for a super quick but indulgent chilled blackberry recipe try this quick blackberry fool from Jamie Oliver.
- Blackberry & Apple Frozen Yoghurt Cake : for a completely different take on a blackberry and apple recipe try this blackberry and apple frozen yoghurt cake which is like a cheesecake with frozen yoghurt.
- Blackberry Eton Mess : for an equally delicious but much simpler chilled blackberry recipe make this blackberry Eton mess.
- Mango, Lime & Blackberry Bombe : or for a spectacular frozen blackberry recipe try this blackberry bombe.
And there you go, a massive guide to the best fresh and frozen blackberry recipes for everything from blackberry cobbler and blackberry jam to blackberry ice pops that will give you loads of both traditional and unique ideas for what to do with lots of blackberries this summer.
Do bookmark and save for later. And enjoy!
Original image sources by sloely.com or under Creative Commons 2.0 : blackberry & pear crumble, blackberry crumble, blackberry & peach cobbler, blackberry ice cream, blackberry cake, blackberry dessert, blackberry jam and rawpixel.com. Fresh salad with fruits and almonds, close up and Waffles with blackberries by Marco Verch