Just a month ago I would have sniffed snootily at the very idea of low flour pancakes and dismissed them as some fancy Keto diet fad.
But this low flour pancake recipe has suddenly become an essential part of our weekly meal plan because we CANNOT get flour for love nor money in London and we’re frugally trying to eke out the little we have left …
(I can’t quite believe I’m writing that but these truly are strange times, aren’t they? How did we get ourselves into such a state?)
Luckily, the pancakes are – despite the low flour – deliciously yummy hot from the pan and quick and easy to make for breakfast. In fact they’d be totally worth making even if we weren’t in a flour free lockdown.
They are also egg free – in case you can’t get hold of them either – and can be low GI if you are worried about carbs. And and and … they are also brilliantly cheap to make if your finances have been hit and you’re in urgent need of some frugal, budget recipes to fill the family up.
All in all they are a must know easy pancake recipe so do save for later, give them a go and let me know what you think.
Low Flour Pancake Ingredients
All you need for these low flour pancakes for 2 to 3 people are:
- 250g boiled potatoes (roughly half a pound)
- ~60g / 2oz flour (whatever you can get your hands on is fine)
- 25g / 1oz butter
I know the sight of potatoes is going to worry anyone on a low carb diet but if you boil them the night before, their sugar level will be significantly reduced – who knew? – when you cook with them the next morning.
(BTW if your finances have got frightening in the last month, it might be worth growing potatoes. They are not the quickest vegetable to grow but are easy and will give you a frugal, filling fallback if things get tight. You can even grow them from pantry potatoes that have sprouted.)
Low Flour Pancake Recipe
These pancakes really are easy to whip up for breakfast. Certainly easy enough for kids to help with or make themselves. You simply:
- Peel your potatoes, pop in a pan of cold water with a little salt, boil for 20 minutes and drain. (You can use the water in bread making).
- If you have time, leave potatoes to cool but no worries if you don’t.
- Mash the potatoes with the butter, a pinch of pepper & half a teaspoon of salt.
- Then add the flour and bring together in a dough.
- Now very lightly flour a board or worktop.
- Gently roll the dough out to about 50mm thickness.
- Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter or just an upturned glass or small saucer.
- Then prong with a fork all over before pressing down with the fork to create little ridges.
- Heat a heavy pan or griddle to a medium heat with just a smidgeon of oil. (We’re being seriously frugal here!).
- And cook your low flour pancakes for a few minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
- Then wolf them down as quick as you can hot from the pan as they are or with your fave pancake toppings … or whatever you can get your hands on right now.
And there you go.
Super simple low flour and egg free pancakes you can make easily with the cheapest of lock down supplies. I do hope you enjoy them.
For more simple, lovely, frugal tips do follow me on Pinterest and check out these posts :