It’s winter. It’s cold. And our heating and utility bills can send a big chill through our heart!! Can’t they?
When we’re juggling Christmas spend but I have found a whole bunch of simple, DIY energy saving tips to save money whilst keeping our homes – whether big house or tiny apartment – warm and cosy.
And these energy saving tips are not just fabulously frugal, they are eco friendly too and will help us live in a more sustainable, green way and reduce our carbon footprint without the cost and complication of fancy insulation, solar panels or wind turbines.
Sounds good? Perhaps too good, huh?
I mean, can we really save much money on utility bills with a few frugal tips? Well, I’ve discovered we can because together these tiny tips – done right – are hugely powerful if we “snowball” our savings.
Do keep reading to learn how and for a big list of simple money saving tips you can take action on right now. And for more help check out my other simple tips on how to live frugally and actually enjoy it.
The Huge Snowballing Power of Tiny Energy Saving Tips
You’ve heard of Dave Ramsey right? And his snowball trick for debt reduction. Well we can also use the snowball method to cut our heating and electricity bills.
We start small with the tiny energy saving tips that don’t cost anything to do. I’ve a big list of 50 energy savers for you below to get you started.
Sticking to some of these can save us 10%. Really getting into the habit and sticking to more energy saving tips we can save 20%.
Typically this IS a £500 a year saving. Hurrah!!
Now we could just pocket that. Or pay off Christmas debt. But we can get the snowball rolling and save more IF we invest a bit on a few energy savers.
This could be:
- £10 on a window insulator kit
- £20 on a radiator reflector
- £50 on a chimney balloon
- £100 on some thick vintage curtains
- £200 on attic insulation
And these energy savers save us more. So next year we save £800 on our energy bills. And so the snowball keeps growing bigger : we save energy, invest some of the savings in more energy savers and save more.
Whoop, whoop, whoop!!!
And all that energy saving on our utility bills is eco friendly and good for the planet. So let’s get started.
50 Simple Frugal Ways To Save Money On Utility Bills
And here we go. A massive list of simple energy saving tips to cut utility and heating bills …
Simples Ways To Save Money On Heating Bills
- Turn thermostat down little by little
- Wear big furry slippers
- Wear vests … simple layering makes a massive difference
- Wear thermals
- Put a sweater on
- Shut doors after you
- Draw curtains at dusk
- Wear bed socks
- Wrap yourself in a cosy blanket to watch TV
- Snuggle up with a hot water bottle
More Ways To Save Money On Heating Bills
- Cover key holes
- Put draught extinguishers in front of doors
- Don’t block radiators
- Don’t dry washing on radiators – blocks hea
- Fix window latches to keep draughts out
- Don’t open front door until all ready to leave
- Bleed radiators regularly
- Time heating to go off before bedtime
- Have boiler serviced regularly
- Turn off radiators in rooms not using
- Open curtains wide on sunny days in winter
Save Money On Laundry Bills
- Air dry clothes
- Hang clothes to dry so don’t need ironing
- Use quick wash on washing machine
- Soak very mucky clothes before washing
- Do 1 less wash weekly by rewearing clothes
- Run full loads in washing machine
- Wash at 30 degrees when can
Save Money On Cooking Bills
- Only boil amount of water you need
- Put lids on pans
- Turn kitchen radiators off when cooking
- Put small pans on small rings
- Have a bake day so not switching oven on for just one thing
- Turn oven off 10 minutes before food done
- Use steamer with sections so can cook more than one veg in same pan
- Bone up one one pot meals
Save Money On Water Bills
- Let kids get grubby … don’t give them a bath every night. This also seems to build their immunity.
- Time showers
- Turn hot water thermostat down a notch
- Run full loads in dishwasher
- Fill sink with hot water don’t let it run
- Share baths
- Unplug unconnected chargers
- Towel dry hair
Save Money On Electricity Bills
- Switch lights off when leave a room … heh, the Queen does it, so surely we can!
- Don’t charge phones over night
- Switch microwave off at the wall
- Use switch strips to quickly switch gadgets off at wall all in one go
- Switch to energy saving light bulbs
- Dust the condenser coil at back of fridge
Just pick 5 or 10 tips to get started.
Get the whole family involved – especially the kids because they are so fabulously eagle eyed and draconian at spotting grown up failings – and every week, as you turn these tiny energy saving tips into super powered energy saving habits add some more in.
And then as you start saving money think about a few small eco friendly, energy saving tips to invest in to snowball your savings faster and faster.
10 Eco Friendly Energy Saving Tips To Invest In
Wind turbines, solar panels and the like can cut energy bills and our carbon footprint but big energy saving, eco friendly changes to the design and sustainability of our homes are way too expensive for must of us as a way to snowball energy saving :
- Small wind turbines are £1,000 to £3,000.
- And solar panel installations £5,000+
These are none starters for most of us and it’s not clear the economics add up. But the good news is there are small, frugal energy saving, eco friendly changes we can afford.
Here are just a few pretty frugal ideas to get your snowball rolling …
- Buy a window insulator kit
- Put reflector foil behind radiators
- Install a chimney pillow
- Fix a water efficient shower head
- Buy thicker curtains for the winter – look out for vintage ones
- Line curtains
- Put a curtain over the front door
- Put a shelf over radiators to reflect heat
- Have all windows reputtied to cut draughts
- Insulate the attic
So there you go, a whole load of simple frugal energy saving tips that can save you more and more money and are eco friendly too.
I hope they help. Do let me know how you get on.
And for more tips on how to live frugally check out these posts
- 101 Things To Stop Buying
- 7 Ways To Save Money Fast
- 8 Weird Frugal Tips That Work
- 50 Easy Ways To Save Money
- 50 Extremely Frugal Food Tips
- 30 Zero Waste Products That Save Money