Natural UTI remedies can relieve the pain of bladder infections fast.
And surprisingly it is easy to make effective urinary infection remedies from basic kitchen ingredients.
By combining homemade remedies with simple diet changes we can also prevent UTIs recurring.
In this guide I will cover everything you need to relieve your UTI pain:
- UTI Symptoms
- UTI Causes
- Quick Natural UTI Remedies
- How To Prevent Recurrent UTI
- Gut Healthy Recipes For UTI
- Taking Antibiotics For UTI
This is NOT medical advice. UTI can be dangerous infections. See a doctor with these symptoms or if other symptoms persists.
Table of Contents
Common Symptoms Of UTI
Low level UTI can be relieved with natural home remedies but they can become dangerous infections and so it is important to recognise:
Common UTI Symptoms
The most common symptoms of urinary tract infections include :
- Constant need to pee
- Difficulty peeing
- Pain peeing
- Cloudy pee
- Particularly pungent pee
- Inflammation in the urethra.
These symptoms may be treatable with natural UTI remedies.
Dangerous UTI Symptoms
Always seek urgent medical help for any of the following symptoms :
- Very low temperature
- Blood in urine
- Pain around pelvis
- Pain under ribs
- Back pain
- Pain during sex
Check here for medical advice.
UTI Symptoms In The Elderly
The elderly often experience specific UTI symptoms for which they will need additional support :
- Sudden “strange” behaviour which may be verbally aggressive and even uncharacteristically violent
- Voracious appetite
- Sleeping much more than usual.
Common Causes Of UTI
UTI are caused by bacteria like E. Coli entering our urethra to breed.
Our gut protects us from such bacteria but may fail due to diet, lifestyle and medical treatments.
Common triggers for UTI include :
Peeing frequently flushes out E. Coli and stops it attaching to our urethra.
Dehydration blocks this process.
It is a major cause of UTI in the elderly as they may not drink enough for fear of incontinence.
Persistent constipation increases the risk of bacteria like E. Coli getting into our bladder and urethra.
For quick DIY relief try these simple natural constipation remedies.
If you get recurrent infections cut right back on sugary food and juice.
Sex is a common cause of UTI as bacteria from the anus and genitals can enter and infect the urethra.
Staying hydrated, peeing pre and post sex and bathing after sex helps.
Not wiping properly after the toilet lets anal bacteria enter the urethra.
This can be a challenge for the elderly and frequent UTI in elderly relatives in care is a red flag that they are not receiving the help needed.
Long term use of antacids and PPI for acid reflux can increase gut infections from E. Coli as they lower our protective stomach acid.
Antibiotics are life saving but repeat use can destroy the bacteria that defend our digestive system.
Healing minor UTI infections with natural antibiotics and gut friendly food can break the cycle.
Quick Natural Remedies For UTI & Bladder Infections
Scientific research now shows traditional natural remedies relieve urinary tract infections because they:
- Attack bacteria that cause UTIs
- Stop bacteria sticking to urethra
- Generate urine as natural diuretics
- Trigger the release of urine
- Flush bacteria out when we pee
- Ease excess inflammation.
These DIY remedies made from kitchen ingredients all combine a number of these powers:
- Green tea
- Natural yoghurt
- Celery juice
- Parsley water
- Cinnamon water
- Garlic tea
- Herbal teas including peppermint, sage & fennel seed
- Cranberry juice
- Traditional herbal remedies
Natural UTI remedies have most impact taken at the first sign of symptoms. Combining different remedies can boost effectiveness.
Kefir is fermented milk containing live bacteria that help our gut fight the bugs behind urinary infections.
You can drink it as is or add to porridge or smoothies combined with other UTI remedies.
But make sure the yoghurt is sugar and additive free. One big “healthy” brand I checked out contained:
Water, Skimmed Milk (Reconstituted), Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Sugar, Maltodextrin & Flavourings.
This is the stuff that causes recurrent UTI infections in the first place!!
Your healthy yoghurt should ONLY contain milk and live cultures.
Celery juice has natural diuretic & antiseptic properties that can both kill off and flush out infection.
You can easily make DIY celery juice as an alternative to sugary fruit juice.
Parsley is a traditional remedy for all kidney related infections and drinking parsley water can clear UTI.
You can make DIY parsley water by:
- Simmering roughly 20g of parsley
- In a few of litres of water
- For 5 minutes
- Then leave it to cool
- Before straining.
It is super easy to grow parsley so you always have some available.
Cucumber is a gentle diuretic that is easy to digest when you have a UTI.
For quick UTI relief blend a cucumber smoothie with :
- Natural yoghurt
Pineapple contains bromelain which can naturally ease inflammation.
If your urethra feels inflamed blend pineapple in a smoothie with :
- Natural yoghurt
Pineapple is acidic so cucumber is a better bet if you have heartburn.
Make cinnamon tea and drink 3 or 4 times a day warm or chilled :
- Add 4 or 5 cups of water to a pan
- Add 1/2 tsp of cinnamon per cup
- Bring to boil
- Simmer for 5 minutes
- Strain and drink or chill.
Ginger is antibiotic and anti-fungal and inhibits E. Coli and candida.
You can drink ginger tea or juice as a UTI remedy or chew raw ginger.
DIY ginger juice is easy to make even if you don’t have a juicer …
Garlic has anti-microbial powers and was traditionally used to ease UTI.
You can treat UTI with plain garlic tea or try this garlic lemonade recipe :
More Herbal Teas
Traditionally these herbal teas have all been used as natural remedies for urinary & bladder infections :
- Peppermint – some people with acid reflux and heartburn find mint makes symptoms worse
- Fennel seed
- Goldenseal – popular in N. America but less available in Europe.
Cranberries are one of the best known natural remedies for urinary infections and can help:
- Stop bacteria attaching themselves to and breeding in urethra walls
- Trigger urine release
- Ease inflammation
- Balance gut bacteria so our digestive system defends itself.
But most cranberry juice includes added sugar which feeds E. Coli. So make your own sugar free cranberry juice or just eat cranberries.
Cheddar, Parmesan & Gruyere
Cheddar, parmesan and gruyere cheese all contain the bacteria Lactobacillus reuteri which can prevent and treat recurrent UTIs.
Cheese won’t be an instant remedy for your UTI but pasture fed cheese can help stop infections coming back by improving gut health.
Other Traditional Herbal Remedies For UTI
A wide range of other herbs were traditionally used in Chinese and Indian medicine to treat UTI and can be bought in health stores.
If you want to try these traditional remedies purchase from a trusted health store and check with your doctor before taking :
- Bear berry – arctostaphylos uva-ursi
- Self heal – prunella vulgaris
- Common mallow – malva sylvestris
- Golden seal – hydrastis canadensis
- Chinese cinnamon – cinnamomum cassia
- Bindi – tribulus terrestris
- Haritaki – terminalia chebula
- Green chiretta – andrographis paniculata
- Purple cone flower – echinacea purpurea
- Butterfly pea flowers – clitoria ternatea
- Black jack daisy – bidens pilosa
- Black mustard – brassica nigra
- Chinese hibiscus – hibiscus rosa-sinensis
- Java or malabar plum – syzygium cumini
- Chinese date – ziziphus jujuba
- Gale of the wind – hyllanthus amarusNeem – azadirachta indica
- Holy basil / tulsi – ocimum sanctum
- Punarnava – boerhavia diffusa
- India mallow – abutilon indicum
How To Prevent Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections
5 simple healthy habits can help to stop urinary infections coming back over and over again :
- Good toilet hygiene
- Good sex hygiene
- Staying hydrated
- Eating plenty of fibre as part of a balanced diet to avoid constipation
- Cutting down on sugar.
But the biggest thing we can do to prevent recurrent UTI is improve gut health so our digestive system can fight back against E. Coli.
Improving Gut Health
We can increase good gut bacteria with 6 easy changes to our diet :
- Enjoy lots of different vegetables
- Munch on nuts, seeds & pulses
- Flavour with gut healthy herbs
- Eat natural yoghurt
- Savour proper cheese from farmers
- Have a little fermented food daily :
You don’t have to chuck out all your recipes to make these changes. Just build this food into everyday meals.
But if you do want new ideas check out these gut healthy recipes for UTI.
Gut Healthy Recipes For UTI
These UTI friendly recipes are all built around traditional ingredients for healing urinary infections …
- Mung Bean Soup
- Chicory & Blue Cheese Salad
- Okra Stew
- 10 Ways With Pomegranate
- Roast Fennel With Healing Herbs
Healing Mung Bean Soup
Mung bean soup is a traditional remedy in Chinese medicine to ease bladder infections. Use this simple recipe to quickly make your own …
Chicory & Blue Cheese Salad
This deliciously healing salad combines chicory, a traditional diuretic remedy, with blue cheese, rich in good gut bacteria …
Healthy Okra Stew
Okra is full of mineral and vitamins and believed to have anti-microbial & anti-inflammatory powers to help heal digestive infections …
Tasty Pomegranate Recipes
Fennel is a gentle diuretic that is great roasted with garlic and served with lots of gut healthy parmesan …
What To Do If You Need Antibiotics For A UTI
You may need antibiotics.
If you take antibiotics for your UTI remember to boost good gut bacteria after completing the course.
You don’t need probiotic supplements just a diet rich in:
- Fermented food
- Fibre from a wide range of vegetables & pulses.
They will help good bacteria thrive and prevent future urinary infection.
I do hope these natural remedies for urinary infections help you get on top of your UTI and stop them recurring. Let me know what works best for you.
For other digestive problems do check out my natural remedies for gut health including:
- Quick Constipation Relief Naturally
- Quick Natural Bloating Remedies
- Instant Heartburn Relief Naturally
- Natural Gastritis Treatments
- The FODMAP Diet For IBS
- Quick Ways To Ease Inflammation