This post has affliate links, read here how these work.
Did you start the New Year with good intentions? We all do, don’t we?
We’re so going to be good.
Ditch all the sugar and bad stuff.
And eat well.
We devour all those Pinterest lists of 30 super healthy snacks.
Print them out even. Stick them to the fridge.
And THEN … then life gets in the way.
And we’re busy. And tired. And worried. And grumpy.
And we reach for the biscuits. And the crisps. And the chocolate.
And – in my case – the cheese. (Anyone else have a cheese thing?)
BECAUSE if we’re honest, we’re never going to stick to some big old list are we?
With fussy ingredients AND prep!
We ALL need a little list of healthy snacks we can turn into a habit.
Healthy, yummy snacks – we actually like!
That we can literally grab AND go! With no faff!*
Confident they will give us a long term energy boost.
So what are the miracle healthy snacks we can eat on the go?
Well I’ve got a little list for you below of my faves.
In the last year I’ve managed to turn these into an easy-to-stick-to habit that keep me from reaching – 90% of the time – for the biscuits AND the cheese! And my daughter’s jelly babies!
And from downing whole jugs of coffee in one sitting!
AND they are ALL low GI so they don’t give you a sugar spike.
AND FULL of the key minerals – so many of us are short on – that keep our energy up …
- Iron – it turns out loads of us are seriously short
- Magnesium – lack of it, literally leaves us exhausted
- B Vitamins – these guys are essential for turning food into energy
- Iodine – essential for keeping our hormones steady.
These snacks truly all ARE grab and go!
If I’m at home I just grab a handful of these from a jar.
Or chuck some in a tub – for an instant trail mix – to take out with me.
It’s as easy as that …
10 Healthy Snacks You Can Eat On The Go
- Cherries – suprisingly for how yummy they are, cherries are super low GI.
- Berries – berries are also low GI AND are super rich in key minerals including iodine. Keep a bag in the freezer so you can always grab a handful. They’ll defrost themselves. Or just suck ’em cold!
- Apples – are another handy low GI snack on the go and rich in fibre which helps keep our metabolism moving so we don’t get sluggish.
- Dried apricots, prunes & figs – are all low GI AND rich in minerals including iron.
- Almonds, cashews & brazil nuts – don’t worry about the fat in nuts – it’s the good stuff. PLUS they are all super rich in magnesium and good for B2 and B6.
- Pistachios – yes you have to stop for a few minutes to shell them but that’s quite calming isn’t it? AND they are yummy! AND they are the best nut to boost iron levels.
- Walnuts – a real power house for our overall metabolism they’re rich in B7.
- Sun flower seeds – another power house full of B vitamins and magnesium.
- Pumpkin seeds – as are pumpkin seeds which are also iron AND protein rich.
- Oat cakes – the classic oatcake is as old as the Scottish mountains they come from and chock full of low-GI energy boosting goodies including iron, magnesium and B6 WITHOUT any of the gumph, sugar and other nasties in so many fancy modern oat bars.
So there you go … 10 super healthy snacks you can eat on the go.
AND easily turn into a habit you can stick to.
I do hope it helps.
And for more simple healthier habits do read these …
- Soul snacks – tiny habits to nourish our soul
- Make this one change – and transform your world
- Happy food – eat yourself happy.