We’re so going to be good.
Ditch all the sugar and bad stuff, go low carb and low GI and eat well.
We devour all those Pinterest lists of 30 super fancy low carb snacks and scrumptious Keto nibbles, print them out even and stick them to the fridge.
And THEN … then life gets in the way of all our low carb, low GI resolutions.
We’re busy. And tired. And worried. And grumpy.
So we reach for the biscuits. And the crisps. And the cake. Because if we’re honest, we’re never going to be that person who is up with the lark whipping up batches of gorgeously styled low carb, Keto loveliness before we’ve so much as slurped our morning jug of caffeine.
What we all need is just a little list of the simplest possible low carb snacks we can grab on the go so we turn eating them into a habit.
And this is exactly what I’ve got for you right here. A simple list of low carb snacks you can grab – no prep – on the go PLUS must know extra tips on how to spot other great low carb snacks that will keep your energy levels up AND boost your mood so you’re not tempted by cake!!
What To Look For In Low Carb Snacks
OK so we all know that low carb snacks stop us from having sugar spikes that make us more tired and more hungry once the sugar drops.
But there are some other key reasons we’re tempted to reach for those “fake energy” carbs. And that’s because so many of us are short on four key minerals that keep our energy up:
- Iron – it turns out loads of us are seriously short
- Magnesium – lack of it, literally leaves us exhausted
- B Vitamins – these guys are essential for turning food into energy
- Iodine – essential for keeping our hormones steady.
So the very best low carb snacks are those that are low GI but also have the EXTRA punch of those missing minerals. In the list of low carb snacks below I’ve included notes on those that will help you top up on minerals you may be missing.
10 Low Carb Snacks To Eat On The Go
- Cherries – suprisingly for how yummy they are, cherries are super low GI.
- Berries – berries are also low GI AND are super rich in key minerals including iodine. Keep a bag in the freezer so you can always grab a handful. They’ll defrost themselves. Or just suck ’em cold!
- Apples – are another handy low GI snack on the go and rich in fibre which helps keep our metabolism moving so we actually digest properly the good stuff we do eat.
- Dried apricots, prunes & figs – are all low GI AND rich in minerals including iron.
- Almonds, cashews & brazil nuts – don’t worry about the fat in nuts – it’s the good stuff. PLUS they are all super rich in magnesium and good for B2 and B6.
- Pistachios – yes you have to stop for a few minutes to shell them but that’s quite calming isn’t it? AND they are yummy! AND they are the best nut to boost iron levels.
- Walnuts – a real power house for our overall metabolism they’re rich in B7.
- Sun flower seeds – another power house full of B vitamins and magnesium.
- Pumpkin seeds – as are pumpkin seeds which are also iron AND protein rich.
- Oat cakes – the classic oatcake is as old as the Scottish mountains they come from and chock full of low-carb energy boosting goodies including iron, magnesium and B6 WITHOUT any of the gumph, sugar and other nasties in so many fancy modern oat bars.
So there you go … 10 super easy low carb snacks you can eat on the go with absolutely no prep and fuss so you can easily turn them into a habit you can stick to.
I do hope it helps. For more simple natural remedies for a healthier life do read these …
- 55 Foods To Restore Gut Health
- 25 Life Changing Benefits Of Walking
- 7 Quick Natural Remedies For Stomach Pain
- 45 Natural Remedies For UTI Infections