They are seriously beautiful.
Full of waterfalls and mountain rivers running down to enormous sandy beaches.
And fairly full – sadly – of mosquitoes!
And boy, those little buggers can give you a bite can’t they?
Which itches and itches and itches.
And which you scratch and scratch and scratch.
Until you’ve all got tennis ball sized lumps all over your arms and legs.
And – most painfully? – your bottom!
And it’s downright miserable.
When you’re meant to be enjoying yourself on holiday.
So what’s the best way to treat mosquito bites?
Well obviously you could grab an off the shelf anti-septic cream.
But those babies are full, amongst other stuff, of parabens – chemical preservatives – that some research suggests may be associated with various cancers and allergies.
And the thing is, we can easily treat mosquito bites and stop them itching fast naturally.
Because there’s all sorts of stuff hanging round in our kitchens with natural anti-septic and anti-inflammatory powers which is just as effective as the creams with dodgy parabens in.
So the next time, you and the kids, have got mosquito bites, this is how to treat them naturally.
Natural Mosquito Bite Remedies
First off, if you do want an oitment you can easily dab on whenever you feel a bite – particularly when you’re out and about – buy yourself some Aloe Vera Gel or Witch Hazel.
Both of them are great natural remedies for mosquito bites.
And in fact for anything you normally put antiseptic cream on.
But if you haven’t got them to hand – or your mosquito bites just aren’t responding – try any of these that you have around the house …
- Lemon juice – lemon juice is our go to quick natural remedy for family coughs but turns out it also neutralises mosquito bites fast. Just dab on with cotton wool
- Apple cider vinegar – again another must know natural remedy (for colds and sore tummies) that is a brilliant mosquito bite remedy. Just dab on with cotton wool
- Raw onion – hold a slice onto bites
- Raw potato – hold a slice onto bites or for a bad bite you can grate it and put under a dressing. I also discovered – after pouring hot oil on my hand, ouch!!! – this works brilliantly for burns.
- Banana skin – rub the inside of the skin onto bite
- Bicarb of soda – this is what us Brits call baking soda, mix a teaspoon into a paste with water and leave on bite
- Salt paste – as above
- Oatmeal – you can make into a paste but its stupidly messy so better to add to a bath
- Lavender oil – remember to dilute before applying to skin, a few drops on pillow also good for kids struggling to sleep and lovely way to naturally fragrance laundry
- Tea tree oil – this is another remedy I totally recommend having round the house as it’s brilliant on veruccas, nits, fungal infections AND mould in your bathroom!! As always with essential oils, remember to dilute before applying to skin.
- Raw honey – gently rub small amount onto bite
- Mint leaves – rubbed on skin or blended with a little oil and rubbed in. Fresh mint leaves are brilliant for so many things from digestion and congestion to keeping mice out! And it’s super easy to grow from cuttings.
- Camomile leaves – rubbed on skin
If you spot the mosquito bites early, you can also run a tea spoon under hot water and then press the back of the spoon onto the bite.
So there you go, loads of easy ways you can treat mosquito bites naturally and stop them itching fast. I hope they help. Do let me know what works best for you.
For more super simple natural remedies and clever hacks to see off summer pests check out these :
- Natural Cough Mixture
- Get Rid of Verrucas Naturally
- Get Rid of Flies Naturally
- Get Rid of Ants Naturally