This super simple – ready in 5 minutes – healthy green soup recipe is a brilliant way to boost immunity and get on top of those niggling colds, flu and infections that grind us down.
I totally swear by it.
Having struggled for years with colds that turned into bronchitis, laryngitis and everything-else-itis plus weird fevers and shingles, I truly believe daily-ish doses of this green soup have transformed my health.
So do give it a go – add it to your recipes – and try and turn green soup guzzling into an easy everyday healthy habit.
Even if you’re a lazy, slightly rubbish cook – like me – it’s brilliantly quick and easy despite being chock full of immunity boosting ingredients.
Immunity Boosting Ingredients
All you absolutely need per person for this green soup recipe is :
- A few handfuls of leafy green veg : such as broccoli, spinach, kale or collard, which are immunity boosting because they give us:
- Essential daily vitamin C
- Without raising sugar levels
- PLUS immune boosting iron, folic acid and vitamin A
- And dietary fibre that helps absorption.
- A small handful of nuts : such as cashews, peanuts, almonds or hazelnuts, which make this green soup lovely & creamy and give us immunity boosting zinc and vitamin E.
- Some gut friendly flavouring : to take that slightly bitter edge off your greens pick one of these gut healthy options:
That is literally it but for an even bigger immune boosting bang for your buck you could add any of these extras you have handy.
Extra Green Soup Ingredients
None of these are essential to the recipe but they will make your daily green soup even healthier if you get into the habit of stocking them and chucking them in :
- Half a can of pulses : adding chickpeas, lentils or black beans makes the green soup a real meal in itself with protein and low glycemic carbs plus immune boosting folic acid and zinc.
- Chicken bone broth : if you buy from a good butcher and freeze small portions you can easily add this gut restoring, cold fighting power house to your green soup.
- Antibiotic herbs : a quick handful of naturally antibiotic herbs such as oregano, thyme, sage, basil and coriander can help our bodies fight off a range of minor chest and tummy infections.
- Antibiotic spices : cinnamon, ginger, fennel seeds and black pepper are also natural antibiotics which are yummy in the spicy version of this green soup recipe.
- More gut friendly flavouring : all the allium family are great for our gut. If you’re not a garlic fan or just want to add more chuck in some chives or some spring onions. Or add some gut friendly tarragon or even super healthy dandelion leaves!
- Peas : if you’re really not keen on your green leafy veg add in a good handful of frozen peas which are vitamin C and A, folic acid and iron rich but are slightly sweeter without raising blood sugar levels.
How To Make Green Soup
The simplest and quickest way to make this green soup is to just rinse your broccoli or spinach or whatever and then chuck everything – minus any blue cheese – in a blender with a little water and heat up gently.
(Do put a lid on the pan to stop it plopping!!)
If you’re flavouring with blue cheese add to the pan as you heat the soup.
On silly busy days that’s all I do.
If I want to slow down – a good thing – and actually enjoy five minutes or so more gently chopping and stirring, I roughly chop the green vegetables and saute everything slightly in a little olive oil before blending.
Alternatively, you could cook the green vegetables for a few minutes in a pan about a third full of boiling water.
It is literally as simple as that.
It’s on the table in no time, fast.
But really is an immunity boosting power house of a green soup. Especially if you serve with gut friendly yoghurt or creme fraiche and an extra sprinkling of naturally antibiotic oregano or basil. I get a zing of energy just from guzzling it down. And I really notice the difference to my energy levels and general feeling of well being if I go more than a few days without a dose.
Do give it a go and try and turn it into an easy healthy habit.
Let me know how you get on and please do share with friends if you found the recipe helpful.
For more simple natural health tips try these:
- 15 Simple Immunity Boosters
- 20 Natural Antibiotics
- 55 Gut Healthy Foods
- Natural Cough Mixture
- Natural Cold Remedy
- Natural Sore Throat Remedies
- Flu Protection Tips